Thursday, September 15, 2011

Teaching English in my dreams

So originally, I was just suppose to be helping out in the English classes here at the orphanage school...But now, one of the English teachers here is really sick and will not be able to come to school to teach for at least a few weeks. So now I am teaching my own classes! I thought just helping in the classes was a lot of work but now I am teaching the classes on my own!! The teacher that is sick is the elementary English teacher, so the classes I am teaching are for kindergarden through fifth grade. The school said that they are going to try and find a replacement teacher by next week. But I have been in Ecuador long enough to know how things work here and I know that we won't be getting a replacement English teacher by next week!

I am teaching/tutoring English about 9-10 hours a day! Last night, I was had dreams all night about teaching English. I feel like teaching English is consuming me right now but it is so worth it because the kids her are amazing and I really want them to learn. The younger classes are definitely harder to teach though because the kids can be pretty wild and they often don't listen well. Things get pretty crazy in class with pretty much all of the kids screaming and running around and not listening to me. It can be pretty frustrating, but like I said, it is so worth it.


Moments like this make it all worth it :)

Chicken foot soup! Yuck! It is very common in Ecuador.

Some of the orphanage houses.

Tutoring some of the kids with their English homework



Yesterday, a friend of mine from college flew into Quito because he will be living in Ecuador for the next year to teach English. I was able to skip tutoring yesterday to go into Quito after teaching classes to meet him. Yesterday was my only chance to see him because he is moving to a city that is about 9 hours away from Quito. It was great to see him and we had a fun day in downtown "old town" Quito! The "old town" of Quito is so beautiful. It is the most beautiful part of Quito in my opinion. Here are a few photos so you can see the beauty! 









No comments:

Post a Comment