Thursday, November 3, 2011

Latest Happenings

This past weekend I went to Guayaquil to visit my friends again. Guayaquil is a lot different from Quito because Quito is in the mountains and Guayaquil is on the coast making it super hot, tropical and humid. Completely different from the climate in Quito! Everytime I go, it is always nice to be in a hot, tropical climate. We spent a day swimming at a pool which was super fun and we also went to my faorite park and spent some time there. One of my friends in Guayaquil is a model and wanted to dress me up like a model...it was interesting. So we took some photos together and went out on the town as well. The family that I always visit in Guayaquil is so wonderful. They make you feel like you are part of the family the first time they welcome you into their home. Families from Guayaquil are known for being very loud when in public and at home. It is true about this family! They are always laughing, being loud and having a good time. Being the two biggest cities in Ecuador, Quito and Guayaquil are some what rival cities. Not only is the climate completely different but so is the accent and a lot of the traditions. My friends in Guayaquil say that I have a very strong QuiteƱo (a person who is from Quito) accent when I speak spanish. They always make impressions of my accent and make fun of me! It is funny!

On a sad note, things at the orphanage have been a bit difficult lately because of the way some of the kids have been treated. Recently two kids got kicked out because of bad behavior. On their last day, nobody would allow them in to any of the orphanage houses, even to eat. I was really disappointed by everything involving this and it was really sad for me to see. Also, one of the older girls that I am close with is being treated really badly by one of the house moms. Yesterday was her 17th birthday and her and I had plans to go to Quito and do some fun things to celebrate her birthday. This week all of Ecuador is on vacation so we were planning to spend a day of fun together on her birthday since there was no school.  We had been planning this for weeks and we had permission from the pastor, and her house mom. The day before her birthday, the house mom decided that she was grounded (even though she didnt do anything) and was not allowed to leave the house on her birthday. She the poor girl spent her birthday trapped in the house cooking and cleaning. She had been so excited for the birthday plans that we had together because it is a big deal for the kids to be able to even leave the orphanage at all, let alone do special things. I spend the day with her in the house trying to make the best of it for her but it was still really sad. Sometimes I am really disappointed with the leadership at this orphange and the way that the children are treated :(

As mentioned, this week is vacation week for all of Ecuador. Yesterday was Day of the Dead here, a day where everyone goes to the cemetary to remember and cry over their lost loved ones. In Mexico, Day of the Dead is a celebration to remember the lives of your loved ones who are no longer living.  It is more of a happy celebration day. Here, it is just a sad day where everyone cries and is sad over their lost loved ones. Also, it is tradition for everyone to drink this dark fruit type drink called "colada morada" and to also eat bread in the shape of little people called "guaguas (pronounced like wawas) de pan". It use to be tradition that people would bring these food items to the celetary for their deceased loved ones. This tradition has died out but every year on the of the dead, people in every house in Ecuador eat colada morada and guaguas de pan.

The famous colada morado and guaguas de pan. It is really delicious!


Since their is no school this week at the orphanage, today I am deading off with my family to a place in the jungle called "Cielo Verde" which translates to Green Heaven. It is a very small town in the jungle and we are going to spend a few days just enjoying nature. I am really excited to finally see this place because Adriana has talked to me about it so much!


Here are a few recent photos from Guayaquil, the orphanage and one with the boys in my family:

My roommate and I during english tutoring hours after school with some of the older girls at the orphange

This is the little girl that was kicked out of the orphanage with her brother :(
With friends in Guayaquil
A good friend of mine in Guayaquil
When my friend wanted to dress me up like a model

One of my favorite little girls at the orphange :)
The two little boys who are like my family in Quito :)



















In Guayaquil

No comments:

Post a Comment